Changing The World One Girl At A Time

I was contacted a few months back by a friendly unknown person. She needed help with the creation of an all girl empowerment group. This isn’t a feminist type of group, or anything against the male gender, but more of a gentle guide to teach girls how to interact with one another. seeking.jpg


We females are pretty much taught to compete with one another. We are taught to compare ourselves to other girls and women. The media even teaches us to break down one another. So this is a big change that starts with our own children at home, and in our communities.


Once I received that message on social media I shrugged it off at first. I have been scammed before, I have had lots of weirdos in my inbox. So with this person not being my friend in real life or me knowing anything about them I wasn’t left with very much to trust.
I went to bed that night and decided to sleep on what I should do. I asked the universe to guide me. And guide me it did.Meditation.jpg


Next morning I message this stranger back and began to ask questions. Even though I had no idea who I was talking to I felt like this opportunity was meant to be. I could trust this person and this was something I was meant to do. I decided to volunteer my Photography for this All girls group and help with social media. I have experience in both fields so I felt this would be amazing.


Those of you who don’t know my back story (ok none of you do yet), to keep it brief, I have severe anxiety and social phobia. To do something like this is extreme for me. It is totally worth it. This is a main reason why I stopped Photography in the past. I was unable to handle the stress of meeting new people and trying to please everyone. panic.jpg I know I am a different type of person than the norm. I am too abrasive to some, too outgoing, too open, often I am just too loud.


You’d never know any of this by first impression of me. I’m shy, quiet, awkward, and constantly hiding myself in corners of rooms or away from people. Most of the time in crowds I go unnoticed.


This group is as amazing for me as it is for these young girls. I couldn’t be more happy with my decision to participate as a volunteer. Group4.jpg


Photo above is Copyright ©Kel Jones Photography

Comments

Popular Posts